For our New York City-based parents, we know it’s hard to find time to slow down in the city that never sleeps – even without the needs of your new baby factored in. But, as the flight attendants say, you have to put on your own oxygen mask first before you can help the person next to you – and that’s a needful reminder when it comes to parenting, too.
Here are some of our New York City community’s favorite fitness studios, meal services, beauty, and wellness providers to help you take care of yourself so that you can in turn take care of your growing family.
Move Your Body
Caring for your newborn may seem like enough of a workout, but these fitness classes tailored specifically for new parents can safely and gently help you get back to your routine. Exercise increases blood flow to promote healing, balance hormones, reduce stress, and boost mood and energy.
1. Pvolve: Pre and post-natal-friendly workouts combine dynamic joint movement with Pvolve’s patented resistance-based equipment. You can work out in their Soho Studio or join streaming classes online!
2. Fit Pregnancy Club: Workouts designed specifically for new moms with low-impact, high-intensity prenatal workouts as well as postpartum recovery classes with a focus on core and strengthening the pelvic floor. You can attend live classes at their studio or stream classes from home at your convenience.
Eat Good Food
Eating a balanced diet is one of the most important things you can do for yourself, and your baby, especially if you’re breastfeeding. What you don’t need is the stress of meal planning. With a healthy meal service, you can have quick, nutritious meals on hand to eat when you need them.
3. Territory Foods: Built on a foundation of non-inflammatory and nutrient-dense foods, Territory’s meals are 100% free of dairy, gluten, processed oils and sugars, and anything artificial. Made by chefs in your community, Territory meals are delivered fresh and ready to eat in just 90 seconds.
Feel Your Best
Revive your beauty regimen or upgrade your maternity wardrobe because when you look good, you feel good.
4. Detox Market: Eco-friendly skincare, haircare, makeup, and more, made with quality, non-toxic ingredients. Go to their NYC flagship store to explore!
5. HATCH Collection: Their chic and elevated maternity clothing supports you through pregnancy and into postpartum, featuring an entire 4th-trimester collection.
Let Go of Stress
Caring for a newborn is both joyous and stressful. Acupuncture and massage can promote relaxation and healing, relieve anxiety, and can even help parents struggling with their mental health during the postpartum period.
6. WTHN acupuncture: This NYC studio offers acupuncture, cupping, and herbal treatments focused on women’s health and fertility. Their online booking platform makes it easier than ever to work Chinese medicine into your self-care routine.
7. Yinova Center: Go to this place in NYC to help improve circulation and reduce muscle tension, with a special focus on the abdominal and pelvic areas. They also have an amazing online store, full of carefully curated tinctures, supplements, acupressure accessories, and more, to help support your reproductive health and wellness from the comfort of your own home.