This summer recipe is nutrient rich and makes a great appetizer or part of a healthy meal, not to mention a total crowd pleaser!
Fresh Spring Rolls with Mango Lime and Mint Dipping Sauce
Serves 2 to 3/Makes 6 to 8 rolls, Prep Time: 15 minutes
Special Equipment: mandoline with julienne blade or julienne peeler
- 6 to 8 rice paper wrappers (8 inches/20 cm or larger)
- 2 cups peeled and julienned mango
- 2 cups peeled, seeded, and julienned English cucumber
- 2 cups peeled and julienned carrots
- 2 cups peeled and julienned green papaya
- 2 cups kelp noodles
- 2 large handfuls of fresh cilantro with tender stems (cut off tougher bottom half of stems)
- 2 large handfuls of fresh Thai basil leaves
- 2 large handfuls of fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup of mango, lime & mint dipping sauce*
- Fill a large bowl with warm water and spread a kitchen towel on your work surface. Working with
- 1 rice paper wrapper at a time, soak wrapper in warm water just until pliable, about 30 seconds.
- Place it on the kitchen towel.
- Divide the julienned fruits and vegetables and the kelp noodles evenly along the center of each wrapper, layering your ingredients as you go. Repeat with most of the cilantro, basil, and mint, reserving some for garnish.
- Holding the end closest to you with both hands, fold it over the filling. Tuck it under the filling using your fingertips and gently pulling the wrapper taut. Fold in the sides, then tightly roll up the summer roll, squeezing the ingredients to get a tight roll. Place each roll as finished on a damp paper towel, and cover with another damp paper towel, to keep them from drying out.
- Cut each roll in half diagonally and garnish with the remaining herbs. Serve immediately with mango, lime & mint dipping sauce.
- **If the rice paper tears while you’re wrapping, just soak another wrapper and wrap it around the torn one.
*Mango, Lime & Mint Dipping Sauce
- Prep Time: 5 minutes • Special Equipment: blender
- Makes 1 cup
- 1 cup peeled and coarsely chopped mango
- 3 or 4 mint leaves, torn
- Zest of 1/2 lime
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender. Blend on high until smooth and pourable.
- Keeps in a sealed container, refrigerated, for up to 1 week.