Kimberly Chandler + Stella McCartney host a Party for a Cause!

| COMMENT

Kimberly & Tyson Chandler, and

Kimberly & Tyson Chandler, and Katharina Harf

On a cool summer evening in Los Angeles, Kimberly and Tyson Chandler hosted a shopping party followed by a vegan feast at Stella McCartney. It wasn’t an ordinary occasion for notable friends to gather and swipe their credit cards for the latest frocks- this was a shopping party for a cause- to raise awareness about blood cancer.

Rachel Roy, Massy Tadjedin, Lisa Harris, Kimberly Chandler, Brandi Garnett, Dianne Abgang, Jeanette Jenkins and Morayo Monroe (Dianne's daughter)

Rachel Roy, Massy Tadjedin, Lisa Harris, Kimberly Chandler, Brandi Garnett, Dianne Abgang, Jeanette Jenkins and Morayo Monroe (Dianne’s daughter)

Guests arrived to a lively store open after hours with plenty of staff in place to support an evening of massive purchasing. The gracious hostess, Kimberly Chandler worked the room, greeting guests and introducing people over passed cocktails with her towering basketball star husband Tyson Chandler nearby. We were there to shop- but also to learn about the incredible work of Delete Blood Cancer.

A gorgeous setting for an informative evening.

A gorgeous setting for an informative evening.

Dining for a cause- guests eating at Stella McCartney

Dining for a cause- guests eating at Stella McCartney

Vegan vegetable gnocchi

Vegan vegetable gnocchi

A beautiful vegan meal was served in the garden behind the store where nearly 70 guests dined in candle light. Katharina Harf, founder of Delete Blood Cancer spoke about the organization’s mission. Katharina was inspired by her mothers struggle to find a bone marrow donor when she was diagnosed with blood cancer. Katharina’s father worked to recruit 68,000 donors to increase his wife’s odds of finding a donor. This experience led to the creation of Delete Blood Cancer in 1990. The guest of honor- Dianne Abgang spoke about her hope for finding a match. So many people of African descent die because there aren’t enough registrants that are possible matches. Only seven percent of registered donors are African-American. It’s important that all of us register so that we too can make a difference in someone’s life.

Kimberly Chandler and

Kimberly Chandler and Katharina Harf, founder of Delete Blood Cancer

Blood cancer kills more people under the age of twenty than any other disease in America. Bone marrow transplants can be more effective than chemo-therapy and sometimes works when chemo doesn’t. However, only 30 percent of patients find a match within their family for donation. The remaining 70 percent who don’t find matches mean over 13,000 patients a year must find a donor outside their family. Delete Blood cancer is dedicated to eradicating blood cancer. There is now a national donor recruitment program. Delete Blood Cancer helps people to organize drives and helps college students to organize campus drives.

Kimberly Chandler, Tammy Brooke, Jeanette Jenkins & Latham Thomas

Kimberly Chandler, Tammy Brooke, Jeanette Jenkins & Latham Thomas

The men were in the building! Fashion Consultant Browne Andrews & Tyson Chandler

The men were in the building! Fashion Consultant Browne Andrews & Tyson Chandler

Kimberly Chandler & Brandi Garnet

Kimberly Chandler & Brandi Garnet

Registering as a bone marrow simply requires a cheek-swipe. There are two ways to donate bone marrow, a peripheral blood stem cell donation or a bone marrow donation. In the first method, cells are collected through the bloodstream. This is an outpatient procedure that takes 4-8 hours for one or two consecutive days. In second method marrow cells are collected directly from the pelvic bone. This is also an outpatient procedure and takes 1-2 hours. Most healthy people between the ages of 18-55 can donate, but a full list of guidelines can be found on the Delete Blood Cancer website.

My Bone Marrow Registry Kit

My Bone Marrow Registry Kit

This incredible evening really opened my eyes. I had no idea how easy it was to get swabbed and registered. In our gift bags- each of us got a home swab kit. It costs Delete Blood Cancer about $65 to complete each applicant’s registration- which is nothing when you can save someone’s life. Please get swabbed and donate what you can to help the cause. I am a registered bone marrow donor now.

To learn more visit:

Delete Blood Cancer 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , |

SHARE THIS STORY